Wednesday, June 30, 2010

I Heart Art

Saw Yo Yo Ma perform with the NSO tonight. My family came with and they were less than thrilled, which really bummed me out. I have all sorts of lofty ideas that art is for the people and transcends non-musical knowledge and whatever. Turns out I am a little wrong, but it also turns out that my family will shell out $50 a ticket and not read program notes so they can consume Twizzlers. I'm not sure that's art's fault.

Anyway, we've listened to electronic music in a number of my classes (Penderecki's Threnody for the Victims of Hiroshima is NOT for the faint of heart. or anyone who is not hard of hearing.) and I've found it interesting, but not... linked? I guess, to classical music. The piece tonight, Golijov's Azul so was. It was brilliant. It was rooted in something I understand and then took leaps away from what I know. It was brilliant.

They also played Ravel and I LOVE Ravel. He's delicate, beautiful, and doesn't take himself too seriously. It's not superior. There's an awesome quote from Suzuki, I think, that says "Art is not in some far off place". Ravel got that.

I made a pact with my brain not to sing this summer, but I can't keep up my end of the bargain. I was so inspired tonight, not only to listen to more Ravel, but I have to sing some of his stuff because listening isn't enough. What a good night

No comments:

Post a Comment