Thursday, August 5, 2010

I'm a heathen and I like it

This blog is mine, and is not written with the express purpose of offending, but some thoughts, feelings, and things are just wrong. Yup, wrong. Wrong and misguided. This entry is about marriage equality. If you disagree, don't read this.

I am extremely blue-blooded. I am over the moon about Judge Walker's decision on Prop 8. Seriously, over the moon. I read the Huffington Post's article about it and was invigorated by my political leanings despite Walker's Republican nature, believing that good had triumphed evil even in the face of political adversity. Naturally, I turned to the NY Times, my Safari home page and trusted liberal newspaper, to see what they had to say. There, reality crushed me to its breast as I remembered that our Supreme Court is currently run by a Conservative tyrant. This is a classic Harry vs. Voldemort sitch, naturally the gays and liberals are Dumbledore's Army, and Roberts is Voldemort. DA is still wading through Death Eaters, but Voldemort knows we're coming. Spoiler alert: Voldy doesn't win.

Classifying a fellow human being as a second-rate citizen is wrong. Not to mention disgusting and ignorant. Furthermore, if others choose to marry, it literally does not affect you. So shut up.

The beautiful and terrifying thing about ideas is that they can really grab hold of you and refuse to let up. People can't filter what can be physically and/or emotionally damaging when it comes to their convictions.

Clarification: I do not believe in God. I will protest if Roe v. Wade gets overturned. I think guns are terrifying. I like taxes. I like marriage equality.

No comments:

Post a Comment